Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Another day, another maitake

So, that was eventful. All I was doing was making deliveries of flour, and picking up some veggies and cheese, or so it would seem. Any good mushroom hunter or wild forager knows that multitasking is key...especially in certain seasons, for instance, in February, my eyes would have been on the road. But, for goodness sakes, mushrooms rarely grow in the road. I was fortunate enough today to have spotted several pounds of maitake, my third such score in a week. As I drove on my deliveries, I dreamt about how to best prepare them for you, the hungry public. It seems that I have settled on a lunch special, of our fresh spelt fettuccine, tossed with creme fraiche, and topped with sauteed maitakes. This simple dish will showcase the earthy flavor that only mushrooms contain. As I mentioned to a lovely gentleman earlier tonight at Local 111, mushrooms taste like earth, and if it was any good sauteing dirt up in butter, we would, but I don't reccomend it, so we settle for mushrooms. Let me remind everyone about the Fall Festival happening at Hawthorne Valley Farm, where they make that damn good beet kvass. We will be there at the farmers market in some capacity or other, but I will be at the bakery, cooking up those maitake mushrooms...see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment