Thursday, September 9, 2010

And fall is coming to blanket us with it's cool hands.



Today we prepare for the fall. Mentally. And physically we remain in summer, chilly but with tomatoes still on our plates. The short window that we have in which we can have wild mushrooms, squash, tomatoes, and hot peppers all at the same time. A special time, when we all begin to think about the upcoming frost, fall kale, and firewood. A time when community is growing closer for the winter, ready to share our body heat and a glass of wine and share our memories of sweaty summer swims and farmers market impromptu picnics. Don't read me wrong, I am not hurrying summer, it just happens to be a cool mid September day, and I didn't have my blankets last night, and I am constantly living in fear of the dreaded "fall back" when someone evil, obviously evil, takes away my normal schedule and replaces it with a different, darker one. The real losers here are the people in which I feed. They will now miss out on the mushrooms that I was previously able to strain my eyes to see in the evening, where now I will simply give up, as the head lamp just does not seem to give me the width of light that I need. As sad as it always is to see summer go, the bright orange squash and hot pink watermelon radishes are coming in, dressed to the nines, making themselves seen, and eaten. Let me just mention that I did not take these images, but my camera is not with me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment