Monday, March 22, 2010




Well, here it is, spring. Here I am, hoping for a few more cold nights just to keep the sap a-flowin. This has officially been the worst year ever for maple here at the homestead, although I am really happy to have taught the trade to a few new beginners. I am going to keep the taps in for just a week more, just to be hopeful. Last Friday was our maple dinner at the bakery and we featured both my maple and that of the Lyonsville sugarbush. I had to reluctantlly cancel the field day at my crazy homestead I had planned that was designed to educate folks about the basics of sugaring, and to also introduce interested people to the grassroots setup that still exists.



We at the hive have been thinking a little bit of restructuring our hours to include a little more of you after Memorial Day, as we feel the need to introduce more of the people who are growing these amazing foods to those of you enjoying them. Speaking of which...two things. One:I am cooking my last bag of broccoli tonight. This makes me have all sorts of emotions. I am happy to have it. I will miss it. I look forward to it again. It smells delicious. I will be there for people looking for appropiate ways to store it for next year. My freezer has a tiny little empty space in it. I need people to come over for dinner so that I can cook all of the other foods that I still have stored. I love broccoli. Two:I am looking for people with skills and motivation to be involved in a series of skillshares. One we will host this summer at the new Wild Hive Grain Project Community Center, and the other will be hosted at my home. Please email me with ideas for how to turn sustainable skills into skillsharing. Well, we hope to see anyone out there, either at the Hive, or just in passing, and we hope that you enjoy your spring! I am ready for the ramps, morels, arugula, radishes, fiddleheads, and spring onions of the future. Oh boy, I had better use up the last 100lbs of onions I have in storage!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Chef Amy! This is Ashley Morford - who had the pleasure of helping you with the Maple Dinner. I can not find your email, but would love to get in touch. Mine is aemorford@yahoo.com. Hope to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete